We are humans, We all commit mistakes. The more we commit, more experienced we become. Learning the mistakes of others prevents the miseries and pain which else you would have gone through.
Following were my career mistakes and for the benefit of masses, I sharing them here.
1. Avoid a Job which requires more than 2 hours of daily commute
In this competitive world, millions of employees travel commute tens and even hundreds of miles daily to reach their office and home which can take couple of hours. Avoid that in any cost. The more you travel, the more time you will lose. that time can be spent with your loved ones, working out and other essentials. Also, when you are traveling using public transport, listen to audio books, carry a kindle / paperback and read books. build your skills and do something productive out of it.
Time is the most valuable asset you have, use it fully.
2. Don't leave the organization during appraisals.
I have done this blunder twice. Corporations gives you hike on last Salary Package, therefore it's prudent to participate in every appraisal and then left the organization ( if you really have to ). Else you will be back to square one and spending another 6 months or an year to prove yourself to get to the same level of appraised Salary.
Be very strategic about the Salary Package or else you will be working for peanuts which isn't very comforting in this fast paced - high inflation modern economy.
over the years ( 8 years ), i have ignored working on my programming / coding skills. but then this recent visit to bangalore ( india ) for attending a conference turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I stayed with my senior for a few days and observe his working. he has been my inspiration for so long but this time i got insights about how he works ( a millionth part of it ), etc.
i am loving my new love for coding ( HTML / CSS ) for the starters.
If you have ever bought services of VPS, you know that it could be quite painful process. Specially when the company plans to abruptly shut down their operations and delete your data ( all of it ) after sending few reminders to migrate.
I faced this issue repeatedly with SpaceRich and it was painful. Thereafter I was looking for a company which would provide me with 1) Affordable VPS Solution 2) Effortless Transanctions 3) Painless Subscription
I discovered DigitalOcean somehow and it turned out that I am using DigitalOcean for little less than 2 years now and since now the subscription has lead to amazing experience. I never had to struggle with any support as I didn't need any. I pay monthly which is very convenient. It is super affordable ( starts from $5 per month for smallest plan ).
Therefore you are looking for a VPS Solution then don't look any further and visit: https://m.do.co/c/c8f509a8a528
Get a DigitalOcean's Droplet today ( that's what they call their instance ).
following are the learnings which brought different extreme emotions to me. I hope you ( the reader ) will get benefitted from them by following them ( at your own risk and while using own conscience ).
- If you are having limited money and you have placed an order and are unsure of it getting crossed / completed then CANCEL the order prior to placing a new one else you may get doomed ( in a metaphorical sense ). As transaction takes place in microseconds and there is no way you can control them so save yourself by never doing it.
- When you are selling your shares, you should know that they don’t get sold at once but are sold in chunks. You should understand how many shares are left to get sold before cancelling and putting new price for the new trade ( of selling ) in this case. Check the Trade Report instantly to know how much shares have been bought / sold at any instant.
- maintain enough liquidity for day trading that even if you invest ( trade ) it all, you will still be able to breath in and out properly and also stay alive without having even slightest fear. treat that money as value investing. but then always day trade in companies which are having financials rock solid or at least the assets leads double the debts. (7.04.2016)
Quote by me:
if you aren't sane at the time of transaction, you get insane.
Below are the Notes from a video I watched of Casey Neistat:
- believe in your story, source is invested in the story / subject.
- work is more important than India. motivated > inspiration.
- Absorb the motivation around yourself.
- make something which people will care about.
- vitality just happens. you can’t you anything about it but to make the best video.
- story should be important. cinematic product appeal.
- advice to filmmakers - do the work .inspiration is cheap. WORK is important.
- through working you learn.
You are a person with a kind heart. When you will be grown up, you will still have it. There are a few key things which you should have known which would have saved you a lot of your valuable time and other intangibles.
- Tell no lies, anytime, any where. Truth will take care of it.
- If you are behind your schedule, let every person ( involved in it ) know about it.
- Archive the clutter, don't attempt to clean / sort / beautify it. You will end up wasting a lot of time.
- Hoarding books is fine, reading them is better.
- It's better to be a lil' early than to be over late. Doesn't matter what might be the case. People won't understand, but you don't have to attempt.
- Don't just hop around your projects / initiatives. Stick to one and build your legacy.
- Network with people, talk to them and keep in touch with them. Follow ups are must-do activities.
- Play and follow any sport maniacally. It will keep you healthy.
More to come, soon.
You will have crazy time reading, but still read them, devour them and follow them ardently.
I love OS X's App - Notes which is super light and amazing app. It lets you write notes ( with images, text formatting is allowed, tables too).
Interestingly when you sync your Email account such as Gmail's, it saves your notes in the form of e-mail ( it basically emails you the note's content ).
Now, this could be useful as you will have backup of your notes but it can creep out a lot of people.
Therefore, save your notes in the "On my Mac" section which can be chosed from Notes ( Top left corner ) and select "On My Mac " Account.
It didn't delete the email note even when I deleted the notes which was very annoying.
Good luck with using your Notes App.
There are millions if not billions who endlessly look out for the "perfect inspiration" which will drive them crazy, motivate them enough to do something extremely important / different / actual work.
I counted myself as one of them until the day I stumbled upon a writeup / answer by Justine Musk on Quora.
You're determined. So what? You haven't been racing naked through shark-infested waters yet. Will you be just as determined when you wash up on some deserted island, disoriented and bloody and ragged and beaten and staring into the horizon with no sign of rescue?
We live in a culture that celebrates determination and hard work, but understand: these are the qualities that keep you in the game after most everybody else has left, or until somebody bigger and stronger picks you up and hurls you back out to sea. Determination and hard work are necessary, yes, but they are the minimum requirements. As in: the bare minimum.
A lot of people work extremely hard and through no fault of their own -- bad luck, the wrong environment, unfortunate circumstances -- struggle to survive.
How can you *leverage* your time and your work?
Shift your focus away from what you want (a billion dollars) and get deeply, intensely curious about what the world wants and needs. Ask yourself what you have the potential to offer that is so unique and compelling and helpful that no computer could replace you, no one could outsource you, no one could steal your product and make it better and then club you into oblivion (not literally). Then develop that potential. Choose one thing and become a master of it. Choose a second thing and become a master of that. When you become a master of two worlds (say, engineering and business), you can bring them together in a way that will a) introduce hot ideas to each other, so they can have idea sex and make idea babies that no one has seen before and b) create a competitive advantage because you can move between worlds, speak both languages, connect the tribes, mash the elements to spark fresh creative insight until you wake up with the epiphany that changes your life.
The world doesn't throw a billion dollars at a person because the person wants it or works so hard they feel they deserve it. (The world does not care what you want or deserve.) The world gives you money in exchange for something it perceives to be of equal or greater value: something that transforms an aspect of the culture, reworks a familiar story or introduces a new one, alters the way people think about the category and make use of it in daily life. There is no roadmap, no blueprint for this; a lot of people will give you a lot of advice, and most of it will be bad, and a lot of it will be good and sound but you'll have to figure out how it doesn't apply to you because you're coming from an unexpected angle. And you'll be doing it alone, until you develop the charisma and credibility to attract the talent you need to come with you.
Have courage. (You will need it.)
And good luck. (You'll need that too.)