Following is the list of lessons I have learnt from Age of Empires:
1. Identify critical resources for your organization without which your organization won’t thrive at all.
2. Attack your competitors when you have some viable resources / army / technology which gives your leverage.
3. Have skilled resources at cheapest possible compensation in early stage to grow fast and exponentially.
4. Have a few employees in Research & Development Department to eventually build up some new technology.
5. Automate 1-2 micro revenue channels which brings small amount of money continuously, for example: dividend